Powered by Blogger.

Silver Spoon Mich Turner Professional Cake Decorating products

Wednesday 30 November 2011
HUGE thanks to Baking Mad who sent me some new Mich Turner Madagascan Vanilla Ready to Roll Icing and Ready to Roll Marzipan as well as Pearl, Bronze and Gold Lustres.


I have recently completed a sugarpaste cake decorating course so was able to put the products through their paces with more idea of what I was doing than I would've had 3 months ago.

If you've never done any cake decorating before, or would like some tips, there are fab video tutorials on the Baking Mad website to show you how to decorate using lustres and how to cover a cake in ready to roll icing.

My 3 daughters said that the ready-to-roll icing is just like edible playdough for grown ups.  Fair enough comment I reckon, but kids can have loads of fun with it too, not just grown-ups.  
 
Once you have covered your cake in the ready-to-roll icing the fun really begins when you can let your imagination run wild and decorate it however you like.  You can use punch cutters or normal cutters with the ready-to-roll icing or cut around templates free hand.  You can even use cookie cutters to create decorations for your cakes, biscuits and cupcakes.
 
I also used some of my gel colours to colour the ready-to-roll icing and make flowers out of it.  It is really easy to work with, just use a decent amount of icing sugar when rolling it out.  I kneaded in a bit of CMC to the Ready to Roll Icing before I cut out some of the shapes to make them a bit more sturdy.
 
I used the Mich Turner Madagascan Vanilla Ready to Roll Icing to decorate a red velvet cake that I had made for the Church Christmas Craft Afternoon.
 
Here's the finished cake:  
 
The cake didn't last long, it was devoured in about 10 minutes from the time it was first cut! LOL
 
 
I also used some of the Mich Turner Madagascan Vanilla Ready to Roll Icing that I coloured red and green to decorate some Christmas Cake Balls for the Church Christmas Craft Afternoon. I used some red edible glitter to make the red icing balls sparkle and also made some small roses to put on top some of the cake balls too.



I used the Ready to Roll Marzipan to cover a couple of Battenberg Cakes.  One was requested by an elderly lady at church as she had friends coming for afternoon tea and wanted something a little bit special to serve them, and the other was given to our neighbours as they also wanted something delicious to serve their afternoon tea guests.

Thanks to Jon for a fab photo xx
The best way I found to use the Pearl, Bronze and Gold Lustres was to paint them onto a silicone mould before pushing in the sugarpaste, then you get even coverage on your decorations.  You could also use a brush to paint the edges of roses or other decorations with the lustres.  They add a lovely touch of sparkle/bling to sugarpaste decorations, especially over the festive season.

Picture by Kiwi Cakes
Once again HUGE thanks to Baking Mad who sent me the goodies to review. Don't forget to check out their website for recipes, how to's and all things baking.  You can also find them on Twitter and Facebook.

3 comments:

  1. can you please tell me where i can buy both

    ReplyDelete
  2. can you please tell me where i can by both

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The products used to be available from Sainsbury's but may have been discontinued. There are similar products widely available in supermarkets throughout the UK.

      Delete

Back to Top