Powered by Blogger.

Versatile Savoury Scone Swirls

Monday 9 April 2012
I make these often as they are a great way to make a few ingredients feed us well for lunch, either packed lunches, an impromptu picnic or lunch at home.  I use a basic scone dough and method to make them and they are the ultimate filling and frugal lunch.  I've used ham, pepper and tomato paste in this version - however the combinations of fillings are endless.  My daughters like vegemite and cheese or pesto and parmesan, but if you use these combinations leave out the mixed dried herbs.  I've added chopped mushroom, olives and salami in the past for a slightly different version.

I've included step-by-step photos because the recipe is easy enough for young children to make with a little supervision.  If they're not old enough to read well they can always just follow the pictures instead.

2 cups self-raising flour
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
50g butter, finely diced
3/4 cup milk
1 Tblsp tomato paste, diluted with 1 Tblsp water
100g ham, finely chopped (optional)
1 pepper, finely chopped (any colour will do)
50g grated cheddar cheese

Preheat your oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.

Put the flour and mixed herbs into a large bowl. 



Rub the butter into the flour using your fingertips until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.



Make a well in the centre and add the milk. 



Stir everything together with a wooden spoon until a soft dough has formed. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead it gently for a couple of minutes.  Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to a rough 30cm/12 inch square.


Spread with the tomato paste then top with the ham and pepper, or whichever savoury fillings you like. 



Starting from the side closest to you, roll up the dough firmly to form a log.  Cut the dough into 12 even portions.


Put the swirls cut-side up on to the baking paper lined tray.



Sprinkle the swirls with the grated cheddar cheese.



Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes or until they're lovely and golden. I usually serve these with some crudites and dip or salad.


3 comments:

  1. fan bludy tastic!!!! i just made cinnamon pinwheels today very yummy... my 9 and 4 year old would love them just as much with cheese ham!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow is all I have to say, they turned out great! I baked them for my child's 5th birthday party. Both the parents and the kids all loved them. This recipe is defiantly a keeper. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just made these for my 3 teenage boys. I told them they were pizza swirls. They went down very well. Hopefully they will keep them full for a short time.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top