Powered by Blogger.

Wholemeal Chocolate Chip and Banana Loaf

Wednesday 10 September 2014


I experiment often with recipes to use up over-ripe bananas. No matter how carefully I try and calculate how many we will use, there always seems to be some either ripening too quickly or leftover before shopping day.

This recipe is a quick, easy and tasty loaf which is great for lunch box snacks, after school snacks or a treat with a cuppa. I have baked it 4 times in the last month and it has gone down very well with kids and adults alike.

Wholemeal Chocolate Chip and Banana Loaf

3 WeetaBix type cereal wheat biscuits, crushed or 80g rolled oats
1½ cup plain wholemeal flour
2 tsp baking powder
80g pack dark chocolate chips
50g caster sugar
60ml oil
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1 free range egg, lightly beaten
60ml milk, I used semi skimmed, you could use dairy free milk instead
1 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract

Preheat your oven to 180C/160C Fan.  Grease and line a 2lb/900g loaf tin.

In a large bowl combine the cereal, flour, baking powder and chocolate chips.  In another bowl combine the oil, sugar, bananas, egg, milk and vanilla.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry, stirring gently but thoroughly until completely combined.  

Pour the mixture into your prepared loaf tin and level the surface.  Bake for 40 - 45 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean.


3 comments:

  1. I may be allergic to bananas but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate this absolutely delicious looking recipe. I fondly remember when I used to be able to eat bananas... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could seriously go a great big slice of this right now with my afternoon coffee. I love banana bread and yours sounds so lovely! - I'm intrigued by the inclusion of the biscuits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous. I love it when I end up with spare bananas just for this reason. Never used wholemeal in my banana cake before so this I shall be doing!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top