Powered by Blogger.

Our Family Meal Plan for this week - 12-01-2015

Sunday 11 January 2015
It is a busy week this week for us, as is usual for our household.  The 3 girls have after school clubs starting this week so those, and other evening events, need to be considered when compiling our Meal Plan.

I've fallen back in love with my slow cooker as it is so convenient.  Having a young baby to look after means that cooking needs to be either quick and simple or the 'bung it in the oven/slow cooker and forget about it until it's done' kind of dinner.  I don't have the time or energy for faffing about, especially in the evenings when we're all tired and running short on patience.

Breakfasts this week for me will be smoothies as I'm doing #Jumpstart15, everyone else will be having porridge or cereal and either a small serving of smoothie or a piece of fruit for afters.

Lunches for me will be soups, and likewise for the older two who will be taking flasks of warming soup to school with them.  Youngest and hubby will be having sandwiches with crudites, everyone will be having a small baked treat and pot of yoghurt.

Soups for Packed Lunches

Mixed Vegetable Soup

Sweet Potato and Pumpkin Soup



Vegetable and Lentil Soup


1 onion, finely diced
2 celery sticks, finely sliced 
2 carrots, peeled and diced 
1 swede, peeled and diced
1 garlic clove, crushed 
1 Tblsp ground cumin 
115g (1/2 cup) red lentils 
2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes 
1.25 Litres (5 cups) vegetable stock 

Put a large saucepan on the hob over a medium heat. Sauté the vegetables and garlic in a little oil until they begin to soften. Add the cumin and cook for a minute until fragrant. Add all the rest of the ingredients to the saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until all the vegetables are tender. If I can be bothered I whizz up the soup a little with a stick blender. I serve this with cheese on toast or crusty bread rolls.


Dinners



Pasties, made from leftover casserole


Creamy Bacon and Vegetable Pasta

500g spaghetti
200g unsmoked back bacon
350g frozen chopped spinach
Handful or 2 of frozen mixed vegetables
300ml pot crème fraîche

Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to the boil, add the spaghetti and cook following pack instructions. When the spaghetti has about 3 minutes left to cook toss in a handful or two of frozen mixed vegetables.

Meanwhile, in a deep frying pan, fry the bacon until the fat starts to run and then add the garlic, fry until the bacon is lightly golden. Add the chopped spinach and 2 tablespoons of water, then cover and cook until the spinach has defrosted.

Remove the lid, stir everything together, season to taste, then cook for a further 2-3 minutes.

Drain the spaghetti and vegetables and add to the bacon and spinach mixture with the crème fraîche. Stir to thoroughly combine and serve immediately.

Quick and Easy Root Vegetable and Lentil Curry

Quick and Easy Oven Baked Risotto

Apologies that there isn't a Shopping List this week.  I have run out of time and energy. Bubs is teething, despite being only 15 weeks old and it has been a very long weekend indeed as older two had 12 pieces of homework between them.  I hope to be back on form with a shopping list next week.

You can find more Meal Plans in the linky on At Home With Mrs M.


11 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great week. I just love my slow cooker, so easy especially with a tiny baby in the house. I hope the teething eases soon, my 2 year old is currently cutting a tooth, it can be hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The slow cooker is a godsend isn't it, I don't know how I would manage without mine some weeks! I've realised over the past week that I actually quite like smoothies, I've always been a bit anti them until now - I think maybe it was the texture that put me off? Anyway, I've been making my own and really like them! Enjoy your week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bacon & veg pasta sounds tasty and easy to make x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what lovely meal ideas! I have a slow cooker that I never seem to use but will be getting it out again after reading this :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing these recipes, both look tasty! Taking soup for lunch is such a great plan, I bet it fills them right up :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Comforting Bean and Chorizo Soup sounds lovely for this time of year!
    Sounds like you have a great week planned! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't tried an oven baked risotto before - something tells me that'll put risotto back on the menu as even in the bumbo H isn't keen on sitting on the worktop while I stir away!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking after a baby and trying to prepare meals is hard work and I agree the slow cooker is so convenient! Gorgeous plan!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds fab - I've never known a risotto done in the oven though! I'm rubbish at risotto as I'm impatient with the constant stirring...

    ReplyDelete
  10. The curry sounds lovely, hope that pesky tooth settles down soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fab sounding plan, I have yet to find a recipe I absolutely love from the slow cooker, I need to really get to grips with it as it would make things easier.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top