Powered by Blogger.

WW2 Ration Challenge - What can we eat?

Saturday 13 June 2015

I recently received an email from my local WI advising me of the the Cambridge Carbon Footprint WW2 Ration Challenge, of course I was keen for our family to take part.  It's hoped that the WW2 rationing challenge will encourage us all to explore the common ground between a diet from the forties/fifties and eating sustainably today.  You can read more about the challenge here.


We will be eating seasonal UK produce, which will consist of some of the following:


Apples
Asparagus
Broad beans
Cabbage
Celery
Chicory
Cherries

Courgettes
Cucumbers

French beans
Garlic

Globe Artichokes
Lettuce
Mangetout

Muchrooms
Nectarine
New Potatoes
Peas
Potatoes
Radishes
Raspberry
Rhubarb

Rocket
Spinach
Spring onion
Strawberry

Tomato
Turnips
Watercress
White Onions


Fresh herbs grown in our back garden and as much allotment and locally grown produce as possible from the above list.


Or ration allocation is based on a family with 1 adult, 1 nursing mother, 3 children over 5yrs and 1 child under 5 years.  I researched several sources to try and find an accurate ration allocation, please do politely correct me if my values are wrong so I can amend them for next week.  I've calculated that our rationed food for the week should be as follows:

16 litres milk
460g cheese 
460g bacon/ham 
330g butter 330g 
330g cooking fat 
330g margarine 
1350g sugar 
460g jam 
450g sweets 
100g tea 
Approximately 350g of minced beef or meat of an equivalent value £8.40 for 6 people 
15 eggs 
3 eggs as dried egg powder


We are also allocated points for extra rations and have decided to use our 36 points as follows:

Rolled Oats 1kg = 8 points 
Sultanas 1kg = 16 points
Rice 500g = 8 points 
Baked Beans, 2 tins = 4 points

Thankfully coffee wasn't rationed, hurrah! Neither were fruit, vegetables and fresh fish.  Bread, honey and flour weren't rationed either.  I am also allowed orange juice as a nursing mother so will have one glass (330ml) per day.

Food ration for one week for one adult
I'm busy working out our Meal Plan for this week. I shall publish it tomorrow, we're all excited about it, I hope that lasts for the whole fortnight. Fingers crossed! 

1 comment:

  1. Oh that's interesting, I need to read more into this- sounds a fab challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top